Here are answers to some questions that students and parents often ask about Great Falls Middle School. If you don’t find what you need here, please stop in or call (413) 863-7300!


How separate is the middle school from the high school?

Middle school students spend most of their day in a part of the building that contains only middle school classrooms, and during the school day they use the cafeteria, library, gym, and other shared spaces at different times than high school students. The middle school has its own guidance counselor, behavioral interventionist, and administrative assistant. 

Middle and high school students ride the same busses, and everyone uses the same entrance. Some sports have middle school teams, but others are combined, and some other school activities include grades 6-12. The principal, assistant principal, nurses, and some teachers serve both schools.

Back to Top

What transportation is available? 

Students from Gill, Erving and most parts of Montague can take a school bus. The routes, stops, and schedules are on the F.M Kuzmeskus, Inc. website (Scroll down to see the Gill-Montague routes, and click to see more details.) Call (413) 863-2595 if you have questions.

Students who stay after school Monday-Thursday may be able to take the “late bus” home. (Call for more information on this.)

Back to Top

What time does school start? When is dismissal? 

School starts at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 2:25 p.m. Doors open at 7:25 a.m., and all students who arrive early go to the cafeteria. Middle school students can stay after school if they are participating in a supervised activity, such as sports, clubs, or after-school help. 

Back to Top

What happens when students arrive late to school or are absent?

Absences and tardies are coded either as ‘excused’ or ‘unexcused,’ depending on the reason you give.  If you know your student will be tardy, please send in a note explaining why. If your child is going to be absent, please call (413) 863-7300 and let us know before 8:30 am. If we don’t hear from you, we will contact you. 

Back to Top

What do I need to know about school meals?

Breakfast and lunch are served every full school day (but not on half days). Students usually have more than one option for lunch, and there are additional items for sale, as well. They can pay with cash, or with funds you deposit for them in an online account at www.payforit.net

If your student is coming to GFMS from a school where all meals were free, or if your household qualified for free or reduced meals last year, their meals will be free for the first 30 days of school, but they will have to pay for items that are separate from the main meal.  

Visit the Food Services page for menus, more information about the PayForIt system, the district’s meal charge policy, and free/reduced lunch applications. Contact the Kitchen Manager (413) 863-7315 or the Food Services Director (413) 863-7506 for help, or if you have questions about school meals. 

Back to Top

What will happen if my student becomes ill while at school?

If a student becomes ill, we will attempt to notify a parent or guardian promptly, and we will care for the student in our nurse’s station until a parent or guardian arrives. Students may not leave school grounds without either a parent or another approved adult (as listed on the student’s information form). If the situation is a medical emergency, we will follow standard emergency procedures.

Back to Top

Who should I contact for help with school-related issues?

For academic questions, the best place to start is with the teacher of that subject area. Health-related questions are best answered by our nurses, and other types of questions and concerns can be directed to any of our administrators or the school counselor. Staff email addresses are on our staff page or call the school at (413) 863-7300.

If you are looking for information about school-sponsored events or programs, this includes lots of information -- if you can’t find what you’re looking for, we hope you will let us know, so we can try to make it better. We also share news and updates from the school on the GFMS Facebook page, and use an automated calling system to share important news. Please make sure we have a number where we can reach you, and let the office know if your contact information changes.

Back to Top

How do I enroll my child at Great Falls Middle School?

Registration for all Gill-Montague schools is at the district’s Central Office, located at 35 Crocker Avenue in Turners Falls.  Please visit our registration page to learn more about the information you’ll need to bring. Call the Office of Pupil Services at (413) 863-7508 if you need help or have questions.

Back to Top